My posts may contain affiliate links. If you click though and make a purchase, we might make a small commission, but at no extra cost to you.
Do you love Mexican food? So do I, my friend! But right now, it’s COLD, so I need comfort food! I’ve combined the best of both worlds in this new recipe, Cheesy Chicken & Rice Taco Soup!
The first thing I did was brown my chicken. I used 1.5 pounds of frozen chicken breasts. I also diced an onion to sauté along with my meat.
Next, I added one jar of thick and chunky salsa to my cooking chicken. I like spicy foods, so my salsa is HOT. You might want to try mild or medium.
After a few minutes more of browning the chicken, I added a quart of water and a few tablespoons of chicken broth base to the pot.
While the chicken is simmering, prepare your rice. I use a rice cooker, but you can make it on the stove as well. I got my rice cooker from Amazon and I love it! It has an optional steaming basket that you can steam veggies in as your rice cooks. I used two cups of long grain rice and 4 cups of water. To give it that extra Mexican kick, I added a packet of taco seasoning to the rice water! Instant Spanish rice!
Next Up! Cheesy Goodness!
The cheesy goodness comes in right here! Add a whole 8 ounce block of cream cheese to your simmering soup. I used a spoon and scooped off chunks of it and stirred it into the soup.
Once your rice is done, carefully take your chicken out of your pot, using tongs. Shred the chicken using two forks. Afterwards, add your shredded chicken back to your pot.
After you add your chicken back to the soup, you will add your prepared seasoned rice to the mix! Give the whole thing a good stir and let simmer for 10 more minutes!
This is what it will look like after 10 minutes. If this is too thick for your taste, add a bit more water. As another idea, this could be used as a tortilla dip for a party, too!
What else goes well with a winter day?? Cocoa!!
I like to add tortilla chips, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), and sliced avocado to my bowl! Salt and pepper to taste! Doesn’t that look so delicious?!
Winter is the perfect time for a Snowman Wreath!
Let’s Eat! Hope you will try my
Cheesy Chicken & Rice Taco Soup Recipe!
- 1.5-2 pounds of boneless chicken breast
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 – 24 ounce jar of chunky salsa
- 4 cups of prepared long grain rice
- 1 quart of water
- 3 tablespoons of chicken broth base or 1 quart of chicken broth
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1 – 8 ounce block of cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Brown chicken with chopped onion.
- Add salsa, water, and broth base or a quart of prepared chicken broth and cook on med/high until chicken is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, add 2 cups of rice, 4 cups of water and one taco seasoning packet to your rice cooker. If you don’t have a rice cooker, you can make it on your stove instead.
- Once the rice is ready, remove your chicken breast from the soup and shred it with a fork. Return the shredded chicken to your soup.
- Add your seasoned rice as well. Let simmer for 10 more minutes. If it’s too thick, add a bit more water.
- Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream or Greek yogurt, and diced avocado!
Thanks for your visit! I hope you will come back soon! Make sure to follow us on our other channels and sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Want to save my cheesy chicken & rice taco soup recipe for later?
Hover over or click the picture and then tap the P to save it to your Pinterest boards!